Tahlequah - Main Campus
Northeastern State University’s main campus is located in a place like no other, where the Ozark Mountains, famous for their beauty, roll gently across the land, offering a panorama of natural scenery filled with pines, oaks, dogwoods and redbuds that blossom each spring. Nearby the main campus runs the Illinois River, cool and clear, feeding into Lake Tenkiller, a lake of deep crystal green with a shoreline of beautiful forest and spectacular rock bluffs. The countryside, river and lake create an ideal area for a wide variety of favorite outdoor activities including backpacking, camping, horseback riding, fishing, boating, scuba diving, water skiing and many others.
Within this natural setting is the city of Tahlequah, capital of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, where the tribe’s western migration ended in 1839. Having rebuilt their civilization after their relocation, the Cherokees established a progressive system of tribal government and public education. A history so unique makes for a rich and active heritage celebrated with Native American art and crafts, and the Cherokee Village and Cherokee Heritage Center. And in the midst of this city and surrounding countryside resides NSU with its 200-acre campus of beautiful lawns and large shade trees. NSU, founded in 1909 on the grounds of the Cherokee National Female Seminary, is a university that offers students and townspeople not only a tradition of excellent teaching, but also Broadway productions, concerts and guest lecturers of international fame and both serious drama and fun-filled entertainment at the NSU Playhouse. NSU, Tahlequah and the Tulsa metroplex, just an hour away, offer a little bit of Eden west of the Mississippi.
Broken Arrow - Branch Campus
Located in Broken Arrow, a southeastern suburb within the Tulsa metroplex, NSU-Broken Arrow (NSU-BA) reflects the main campus in setting and architectural details. From the clock tower to the arched windows that resemble features of Seminary Hall on the main campus, NSU-BA provides an access point for students matriculating from area community colleges and returning students seeking programs that accommodate non-traditional schedules. Nearly 50 baccalaureate and masters degree programs and multiple certification options are currently available at NSUBA which is only an hour’s drive from Tahlequah and 40 minutes from the Muskogee campuses.
The fast-growing NSU-Broken Arrow campus is comprised of six academic buildings and a maintenance facility. It features modern classroom buildings, a new science building, and a state-of-the-art library, all complemented by a beautifully landscaped mall and fountain area. Learning spaces include eight computer labs, twelve science labs, seven interactive videoconference classrooms/conference rooms, and a variety of technology-enhanced classroom accommodations. In addition, a full-service bookstore, academic/advisement and enrollment service offices, business office and administrative services, reading / math clinics, state-of-the-art College of Optometry videoconference room, dining hall/conference facility, 375-seat lecture hall/auditorium, and cafe are available.
Muskogee - Branch Campus
In March 1993, NSU opened a 22-acre campus for upper division and graduate level course work in Muskogee. The facility houses traditional and weekend academic programs, as well as an office for the NSU Small Business Development Center. Seminars, conferences and continuing education courses are also provided on an ongoing basis.
The 27,000 square foot building contains 12 classrooms, houses a Speech Pathology Clinic in partnership with the McAlester Scottish Rite, library/media center, a computer lab, faculty/administrative offices, vending lounge, a beautiful commons area and a 155+ seat conference center.
The Mike Synar Center, a 40,000 square foot facility, was opened in August 2001. This state-of-the-art building consists of classrooms, conference rooms, vending and exhibit areas. The Rotunda Commons features an exhibit commemorating the life and achievements of the late United States Congressman Mike Synar. In addition to the Rotunda, there is a gathering place for students and visitors in the spacious two-level lounge. Departmental offices housed in the Synar Center include the Master of Business Administration and the Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
NSU Muskogee Campus Conference Center is a bridge between professional education and the professional world. The Conference Center seats 155+ and is the ideal facility to promote professional activity and stimulate economic growth in the community. The campus provides a pleasant and attractive setting that offers all the elements for a conference, retreat or working meeting. For additional information on meeting room rates and availability, call (918) 683-0040.
Northeastern State University had its beginning in 1846 when the Cherokee National Council authorized establishment of a National Male Seminary and National Female Seminary to fulfill the stipulation in the Treaty of 1835 between the United States and the Cherokee Nation that public and higher education be provided for the Cherokees. Erection of the buildings for the two seminaries began in 1847 and the Cherokee National Male Seminary opened on May 6, 1851. The Cherokee National Female Seminary opened the following day. With the exception of a period between the end of the fall semester 1856 and the beginning of the fall semester 1871, these institutions were in continuous operation until 1909.
On March 6, 1909, the State Legislature of Oklahoma passed an act providing for the creation and location of Northeastern State Normal School at Tahlequah, Oklahoma, and for the purchase from the Cherokee Tribal Government of the building, land, and equipment of the Cherokee Female Seminary. The educational program of the normal school consisted of four years of high school and two years of college level study.
As previously authorized by an act of the Legislature, the State Board of Education, then the governing board of the college, took action in 1919 to change the normal school to Northeastern State Teachers College and to provide for a four-year curriculum leading to the bachelors degree. In 1939 the Oklahoma Legislature authorized that the name of the institution be changed to Northeastern State College.
A constitutional amendment adopted in 1941 created The Oklahoma State System of Higher Education, of which Northeastern State University and all other state-supported institutions of higher education are integral parts. The system is coordinated by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.
In the 1950s Northeastern emerged as a comprehensive state college, broadening its curriculum at the baccalaureate level to encompass liberal arts subjects and adding a fifth-year program designed to prepare master teachers for elementary and secondary schools. By the early 1970s the functions of the institution had been broadened to include degree programs in liberal arts, business, and selected service areas. The approval of several new certificate and degree programs in non-teaching areas added a significant dimension to the role of Northeastern. In 1974, the Oklahoma Legislature authorized that the name of the institution be changed to Northeastern Oklahoma State University. The Northeastern State University College of Optometry opened in 1979 and made history when its first doctoral graduates received their degree in the spring of 1983.
The official name of the University was changed by act of the Oklahoma Legislature in 1985 to Northeastern State University.
Founded on the rich educational heritage of the Cherokee Nation, the campuses of Northeastern State University provide our diverse communities a broad array of lifelong learning, undergraduate, graduate, and professional doctoral degree programs. Through quality teaching, research and scholarly activities, service to local and professional communities, and high expectations, our dedicated faculty and staff provide a friendly learning environment where students are prepared to achieve socially responsible career and personal goals for success in a challenging global society.
Focused Mission Statement
We empower students to be socially responsible global citizens by creating and sustaining a culture of learning and discovery.
We will be the partner of choice in eastern Oklahoma, embracing the educational, cultural and economic challenges and opportunities of our global society.
Integrity - We model ethical and intellectual development by advancing honesty, human dignity, and accountability.
Excellence - We pursue continuous improvement individually and as a community.
Creativity - We advance knowledge by exploring new possibilities through critical inquiry and intellectual freedom.
Leadership - We have a compelling commitment to serve, inspiring and preparing others to do the same.
Collaboration - We build partnerships to create learning opportunities and promote educational and economic success.
Northeastern State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (http://www.ncahlc.org) and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools located at 230 North LaSalle Street. Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411. The HLC can be contacted at: 800-621-7440, 312-263-0456, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. All programs offered by the University are approved by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (655 Research Parkway, Suite 200, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, 405-225-9100) and by the Board of Regents of the Regional University System of Oklahoma (4900 Richmond Square, Suite 200, Oklahoma City, OK 73118, 405-848-3373).
In addition, NSU’s educator preparation programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP), www.caepnet.org, formally National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), (2010 Massachusetts Ave. N.W., Suite 500, Washington, D.C. 20036-1023, 202-223-0077), and the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation (3545 NW 58th St., Suite 200, Oklahoma City, OK 73112, 405-525-2612), www.ok.gov/octp/
Northeastern State University’s Oklahoma College of Optometry Professional Doctoral Degree (O.D.) Program has full accreditation by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE), 243 N. Lindberg Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63141, 314-991-4100. http://www.aoa.org/
The NSU baccalaureate and masters nursing programs are fully accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formally National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission Inc. (NLNAC), 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia, 404.975.5000, URL: http://www.nlnac.org.
The Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Business Administration programs offered through the College of Business and Technology are fully accredited by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (11520 West 119th Street, Overland Park, KS 66213, 913-339-9356). http://www.acbsp.org
The Northeastern State University Didactic Program in Dietetics is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the American Dietetic Association (120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606-6995, 312-899-5400); FAX 312-899-4817; Email: ACEND@eatright.org; URL: www.eatright.org/acend.
The Bachelor of Social Work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (1600 Duke St., Alexandria, VA 22314-3421, 703-683-8080). http://www.cswe.org/Accreditation.aspx
The Master of Science program in Speech-Language Pathology is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, MD 20850-3289, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700. http://www.asha.org
The Bachelor of Arts in Music and Bachelor of Music Education degrees are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (http://nasm.arts-accredit.org/) located at 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190, 703-437-0700.
Doctor of Optometry
Master of Arts
Master of Business Administration
Master of Education
Master of Science
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Arts in Education
Bachelor of Business Administration
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Bachelor of General Studies
Bachelor of Music Education
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science in Education
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Bachelor of Science in Science Education
Bachelor of Social Work
Bachelor of Technology
The Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) is a constitutional board of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Senate, with one member’s term expiring each year. This board issues all degrees earned, determines the curricula and courses of study, prescribes academic standards, establishes student fees, and allocates funds to each institution for operation and maintenance from the legislative appropriations which are made to the board. http://www.okhighered.org/
The Regional University System of Oklahoma (RUSO) is a constitutional board of nine members, eight of whom are appointed by the governor by and with the consent of the Senate. The ninth member is the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Members of the Board serve a nine-year staggered terms. The duties and powers of this Board are to make rules and regulations governing Northeastern State University and its sister schools, employ all persons in the service of these universities, construct all buildings, and authorize the purchase of equipment and supplies. http://www.ruso.edu/
Locally, the President is the chief executive officer and is responsible for the administration of the university. The President may delegate authority to selected administrators to facilitate management of the university while retaining the responsibility and accountability vested in the President. The President reports directly to the governing boards and is responsible for the determination and administration of all University policies.
Physical Facilities - Tahlequah Campus
The main, Tahlequah campus of Northeastern State University covers an area of approximately 200 acres, five times the original forty acres purchased from the Cherokee Tribal Government. Many improvements in landscaping have been made in recent years, yet the native trees and the natural elevation of the grounds have been preserved and protected through the years and combine to make the campus outstanding for natural scenic beauty.
ADMINISTRATION BUILDING. Formerly the Student Center, this building now houses administrative offices and the NSU Information Center.
ALUMNI CENTER. Located on the northeast corner of Cedar Avenue and Crafton Street, the Branscum Alumni Center was constructed with donations from friends of the university and members of the NSU Alumni Association. Dedicated in April 1989, the Alumni Center houses the office of Development and the NSU Alumni Association and features conference rooms and overnight accommodations for special guests.
ANIMAL CARE FACILITY. The Animal Care/Biosciences Research Facility is a special purpose resource for campus education and research activities. It houses several different species of animals as well as experimental protocols under controlled conditions.
BACONE HOUSE. Located at 320 Academy Street, the house was built in 1850 and restored in 1989, and now features a gallery and small group meeting facilities. The NSU Center for Tribal Studies is located in this building.
BAGLEY HALL. Classrooms and offices for the administration and faculty of the College of Education are located in this building. The Cappie Wadley Center for Reading and Technology is housed in this building along with computer labs, distance learning classrooms, an early childhood education lab and the Oklahoma Institute for Learning Styles (OILS).
BASEBALL FIELD HOUSE. Located adjacent to the Thomas Rousey Memorial Baseball Field, the field house contains a weight-training room, indoor batting and pitching facilities, home and visiting team dressing areas with showers.
BATH HOUSE. Originally constructed in 1916 to serve the Female Seminary, this one-story brick building is located immediately behind Seminary Hall. It was renovated into office space in 1975 and currently houses offices for RiverHawk Athletics.
BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY BUILDING. Renovated in 2011, one portion of this building was constructed in 1968; an addition was completed in 1970 which more than doubled the size of the original building. The first floor contains administrative and faculty offices, and classrooms. The second floor is devoted to the areas of family and consumer sciences and business. The third floor contains offices and classrooms. In the basement are technology laboratories for engineering design, Computer Aided Design (CAD), graphic arts and technology education.
CENTER FOR ADMISSIONS AND STUDENT ENROLLMENT (CASE) BUILDING. This two-story brick building was originally built in 1950, renovated in 1981 and renovated again in 2007-2008 to house the new one stop shop for Enrollment Management services. Located in the building are: Admissions, Registrar, High School and College Relations, Financial Student Services, Enrollment Services, and Transfer Student Services.
CERAMICS BUILDING. Located on the northwest corner of the campus, this brick building, formerly a shop building of Bagley High School now contains laboratory equipment and material for the ceramics classes of the art department of the College of Liberal Arts.
DOC WADLEY STADIUM at GABLE FIELD. The athletic field is located approximately one-half mile north of the main campus. This stadium will seat 12,000 persons. Parking space, track, and football facilities are provided in this area. An Indoor Practice Facility (The Dome) was built in 2005 with private funding.
FINE ARTS BUILDING. Recently renovated, the Center for the Performing Arts seats 1,025 persons and features a stage conforming to accommodate musical and theatrical productions, equipped with sound shells, lighting and sceneryequipment to accommodate many types of stage productions. The south wing of the building provides accommodations for music classes, practice rooms, and a rehearsal room for band and orchestra. The north wing includes offices, practice rooms, several large classrooms, and a choral rehearsal room; the lower floor houses the Art Department of the College of Liberal Arts.
GRAND HOUSE. Located at the corner of Grand and Crafton Streets, the Grand House is headquarters for the NSU Department of Public Safety and Parking & Transportation employees. Public Safety is responsible for the safety and protection of the students, employees, and property of Northeastern State University. Officers are on duty seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
HASKELL HALL. This building, located just east of the John Vaughan Library was constructed in 1937; an addition was completed in 1960. In addition to serving as a residence hall for some learning communities, Haskell Hall houses the Student Development Center, Career Services, as well as ROTC. The departments of Psychology Counseling and Hospitality and Tourism Management have administrative and faculty offices in Haskell Hall.
W.W. HASTINGS PROPERTY. Acquired from the U.S. Public Health Service in 1988, this complex was originally the site of the W.W. Hastings Indian Hospital. The Old Hastings Chapel is headquarters for our Motor Pool department. Portions of the property were remodeled in 1990, and now houses the Optometry Clinic as well as administrative and faculty offices and classrooms of the NSU Oklahoma College of Optometry.
HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION BUILDING. This facility includes the North Gymnasium which contains faculty offices, classrooms and gymnasium space; and the South Gymnasium (Jack Dobbins Field House) which was renovated and received a new facade in 1994. The South Gymnasium features indoor sports courts as well as the Fitness Testing Lab, a gymnastics room, a conference room, and offices for Health and Physical Education faculty.
JAZZ LAB. Located at 315 North Muskogee, this building officially opened in June 1993. It combines faculty offices and classrooms with performance and casual dining space, making it a unique facility supporting both the academic and performance aspects of the expanding jazz music program. Numerous special concerts and events are held at the Jazz Lab throughout the year.
JOHN VAUGHAN LIBRARY. Originally constructed as a two-story building in 1948 and expanded to three stories in 1966, this building was renovated in 1996. The buildings electrical and telecommunications infrastructure has been updated and expanded to serve the demands of information technology. With 120,000 square feet of space, seating for 600, 60 publicly accessible computer workstations and terminals, and more than 50,000 feet of linear shelf space, the John Vaughan Library meets the American Library Association/Association of College and Research Libraries space and seating standards. The east wing of the library, renovated in 1998, houses the library archives and university records and the offices of Institutional Research and Assessment Services. The office of International Student Services is also located in the library.
JOURNALISM BUILDING. This building houses offices and classrooms for NSU’s journalism programs as well as offices for the University’s public information services, Communication and Marketing and the PBX telephone installations.
LEOSER CENTER. Located in the center of the largest residence complex on the campus, Leoser Center contains the Office of Housing, along with conference rooms, student organization offices and a seven-station computer lab for residence hall students. Also located in Leoser Center are the Pizza Hut Express with convenience store items, the student newspaper and magazine offices, and other administrative services.
PHYSICAL FITNESS CENTER. The Fitness Center provides enhanced recreation and fitness opportunities for NSU students, faculty and staff. The complex contains a gymnasium, weight room, three handball/racquetball courts, offices, lockers, showers, dressing and restroom facilities, a games-lounge area and a competition-size swimming pool. Memberships are required.
PHYSICAL PLANT. First occupied in 1963 as our heating plant, is now used as headquarters for all Physical Plant administrative personnel as well as structural and systems staff.
RESIDENCE FACILITIES. All residence halls include free use of laundry rooms, cable TV, local phone service, NSU internet, all utilities, custodial service in public areas and 24-hour emergency maintenance. Family and staff housing is available at Courtside apartments. All units include all appliances, laundry equipment, water, local phone service, and NSU internet. (Apartment gas and electric are provided by Tahlequah Public Works Authority.) Dining facilities include the Market Café in the University Center (UC), the Food Court (UC), Flo’s Place (UC), Essentials in Leoser,and Grill and C-Store at Seminary Suites. Beverage and snack vending machines are conveniently located throughout campus.
ROSAMUND HOUSE. This restored 1886 residence on the southwest side of the NSU campus is a unique university facility used for official guests of the University, as well as special receptions and programs.
SCIENCE CENTER. This building was first occupied in the fall of 1957 with an addition in 1962 and a complete renovation in 2007. Classrooms and offices for biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics, physics, and engineering physics are located in this building. A new Science Lab building, constructed in 2006, is attached to the renovated science building. The Science Lab building has state-of-the-art laboratories for the biological and physical sciences.
SEMINARY HALL. The oldest building on the campus, Seminary Hall was the Cherokee Female Seminary purchased from the Cherokees. Completely restored in 1994, Seminary Hall houses academic and faculty offices and classrooms. Prominently featured in Seminary Hall and preserved in the restoration, are three Indian murals painted in the 1930s by Kiowa artists Stephen Mopope, Jack Hokeah and Pawnee artist Albin Jake.
SEMINARY SUITES. Seminary Suites is a 314-bed apartment-style complex exclusively for single NSU students. All suites have private bedrooms in either a 4-bedroom/2-bath or 2-bedroom/2-bath configuration. Academic year rates include all university holiday periods. Amenities include all utilities, local phone service, NSU internet, free laundry facilities, clubhouse, swimming pool, volleyball court and front door parking.
SHAWNEE STREET THEATRE. A performance facility with 268 seats, a proscenium stage and a state-of-the-art sound and light systems, this theatre is currently closed for renovation. All performances of the River Street Players have been moved to University Playhouse.
SOCCER AND SOFTBALL FIELD HOUSE. Located between the women’s softball field and the men’s soccer field, this complex contains indoor soccer practice and softball pitching facilities as well as home and visiting team dressing areas with showers.
SPECIAL SERVICES BUILDING. The Special Services Building primarily contains the offices and classrooms for the Special Education and Speech-Language Pathology programs.
STUDENT HEALTH CENTER. Located between Wyly Hall and the baseball stadium (Thomas Rousey Field), this structure is convenient to the residence halls and provides space for medical examination and treatment of the campus community.
UNIVERSITY CENTER. Conveniently located between the housing complexes and the classroom facilities, the University Center serves as a hub for student, community, and conference activities. The University Center houses the following campus services: the University Bookstore, the Market Cafe, the Food Court, the Roost (coffee house), the Drop Zone (mailing service), ID Services, the Copy Zone (printing and copying services), the Student Activities and Involvement office (Student Affairs), NSGA, meeting rooms, ballroom and the offices for Conferences and Events, the Sodexho Food Service Office and the University Center Management.
UNIVERSITY PLAYHOUSE. This building was acquired in 1983 and renovated to resemble a turn-of-the-century theatre with enhanced the sound and lighting systems and improved accessibility. The theatre has a revolving thrust stage and antique cast-iron and walnut seating for approximately 200 persons. The Playhouse serves as home to the NSU Downtown Country Players and is used by the Speech Communication and Theatre Department for classes and productions.
VISITOR INFORMATION CENTER. Located on the south end of campus and the north end of Muskogee Avenue, the Center was acquired in 1995. This building currently houses Continuing Education.
The WEBB (W. Roger Webb Technology Center) formerly the Northeastern Education and Technology (NET) Building. This building is the heart of the NSU electronic campus. Opened in January 1997, the six-story, 54,000 square foot building contains auditorium spaces, classrooms, computing labs, and faculty and administrative offices. The offices and facilities of Computing and Telecommunications, including the studios of K04DY, the NSU low-power television station, are located here.
L.P. WOODS CENTER. This 1921 house was acquired and renovated in 1987. It currently houses the office of the Sequoyah Institute and the Living Literature Center.
The NSU-BA campus provides course work, complete programs, and certificate programs to approximately 3,000 students annually, and nearly 100 faculty office at this campus. The College of Extended Learning is based at the Broken Arrow campus and each of the undergraduate colleges and the Graduate College have offices and personnel available to assist students in meeting their educational goals.
Degree programs available at the Broken Arrow campus include:
- College of Business and Technology: Acounting, Business Administration, Finance, Information Systems, International Business, Marketing, Supply Chain Management, Environmental Management, Safety Management, Technology, Master of Business Administration (MBA), MS Accounting and Financial Analysis, and MS Industrial Management
- College of Education: Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Special Education - Mild Moderate Disorders, and Psychology. Masters programs include Counseling, Early Childhood Education, Higher Education Administration and Services, Library Media and Information Technology, Reading, School Administration, School Counseling, Substance Abuse Counseling, and Teaching. Certification-only programs are also available in many education content areas.
- College of Liberal Arts: English, English Education, Communication Studies, General Studies, Criminal Justice, Criminal Justice: Homeland Security, Criminal Justice: Legal Studies. Masters programs include Social Work, American Studies, English: Literature, English: Rhetoric / Composition.
- College of Science and Health Professions: Biology: Molecular, Biology: Organismic, Chemistry: Environmental Science, Chemistry: Professional, Computer Science, Mathematics, Medical Laboratory Science (2+2 completion), Mathematics Education, Science Education (biology, chemistry, earth science), Nursing for Registered Nurses, along with masters programs in Mathematics Education and Science Education
NSU-Broken Arrow Administration
Dr. Christee Jenlink, Dean, NSU Broken Arrow campus, 918-449-6100
Mr. Tom Todd, Director of University Services, NSU-BA, 918-449-6100
Mr. Steven Edscorn, Executive Director of NSU Libraries, 918-444-3280
The NSU-Muskogee campus provides course work, complete programs, and certificate programs to approximately700 students annually, and approximately 20 faculty and staff are officed at this campus. The facility houses traditional and weekend academic programs, as well as an offices for the NSU Small Business Development Center and a speech pathology clinic.
The following academic units of Northeastern State University offer programs and courses at the Muskogee Campus:
- College of Business and Technology: Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership (ReachHigher Program) http://www.okhighered.org/reachhigher/, and Masters of Business Administration.
- College of Education: Masters in School Administration, Visually Impaired (graduate certificate), professional education courses (graduate level)
- College of Science and Health Professions: Nursing for Registered Nurses, Medical Laboratory Science (2+2 completion), along with a masters programs Nursing Education.
Dr. Tim McElroy, Dean, NSU Muskogee campus, 918-683-0040 or (918) 456-5511, Ext. 5000
Mr. Steven Edscorn, Executive Director of NSU Libraries, 918-444-3280
Distance learning courses at NSU are available in online, blended, or interactive videoconferencing (ITV) formats. Online courses are delivered over the Internet using Blackboard, (NSU’s learning management system) and do not require residential meetings. Blended courses are delivered through a combination of online and face-to-face formats. Students come to classes on selected days during the semester and complete the remaining course content and requirements over the Internet using Blackboard. Videoconference (ITV) classes at NSU are delivered at the same time in different locations. Videoconference classes are sent or received in collaboration with Tulsa Community College, Carl Albert State College in Poteau, Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College in Miami, University Center in Ponca City, and East Central University in Ada. Some NSU classes are videoconferenced among the Broken Arrow, Muskogee, and Tahlequah campuses. For more information about the spcific courses, check the class schedule listing through goNSU, NSU’s portal page: https://luminis.nsuok.edu/web/home-community/
All three NSU campuses have technology enhanced classrooms and specific classrooms have videoconferencing cabilities. ITV classrooms are located in Tahlequah are in Seminary Hall 204, Business and Technology 220, NET 614, Science Center 147 and Education 107. There are three videoconferencing classrooms on the Muskogee campus in Rooms 209, Synar 220, and Synar 141. At the Broken Arrow campus, the five videoconferencing classrooms are located in BABT 225, BABT 226, BAED 121, BASC 219 and BALA 114.
NSU is a member of the OneNet network, Oklahoma’s statewide network system; the Online College of Oklahoma; and the Southern Regional Education Board Electronic Campus. The Online College of Oklahoma is an electronic marketplace for distance courses offered by Oklahoma higher education institutions. The Southern Regional Education Board Electronic Campus is an electronic marketplace for distance courses offered by a 17-state consortium.
Northeastern State University is committed to being a full-service university and providing learning opportunities for the entire community through its Continuing Education program which arranges non-traditional or specialized offerings to meet our constituents’ needs. Training can be rapidly developed and tailored in areas where the instruction must be personalized and specific or there is a need for areas that are on the cutting edge and have not yet been fully developed into the academic mainstream.
Due to its outreach abilities, the capability for risk taking, and class flexibility, NSUs Continuing Education program reaches out to all facets of the community. Opportunities are available in areas ranging from accounting to creative art. If an organization wishes to provide its entire staff with training in the latest word processing or spreadsheet software, continuing education can immediately respond. If an individual is planning a trip to Mexico, they can arrange for Continuing Education classes in conversational Spanish to be a part of their preparations.
For information on enrollment or course information, call (800) 722-9614 or (918) 456-5511, Ext. 4610.