OSRHE Program Code: 029
CIP Code: 131305
Major Code: 4251
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program’s plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
Major Requirements - 36 hours
Electives - 8 hours
- Advanced English electives 4 hours
- Related Field (COMM, Media Studies, LIBM ) 4 hours
In addition, for certification, the student must complete a minimum of four (4) hours in these related fields: Communication Studies, Media Studies, and/or Library Media.
English majors must earn a grade of “C” or higher in any course counting toward the English Education major.
Use of 1000/2000 level courses in the Related Field section of the English Education program will be permitted only if the course is not used to satisfy any other degree requirement.
Professional Education Requirements (Secondary) - 29 hours
Teacher Education Admission and Certification Policies
In addition to courses in the discipline, all students completing a BA or BS degree in Education degree must meet the following requirements for certification.
- Be accepted for admission to teacher education, pre-II internship, and full internship according to published course sequence and guidelines.
- Demonstrate proficiency at the high novice level in a language other than English.
- Develop a portfolio which documents their accomplishments, learning, and strengths related to the competencies, standards, and outcomes established by the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, and the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Complete all courses in the major and Professional Education Core with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Students entering NSU beginning Fall 2013 must have an overall GPA of 2.75 for admission to teacher education.
- Once admitted to the teacher education program, all majors must continue to maintain a GPA of 2.5 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education core) through completion with the exception that Early Childhood, Elementary, and Special Education majors must maintain a GPA of 2.75 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education) through completion.
- 4 X 12 requirement - Early Childhood, Elementary Education, and Special Education programs require completion of 12 semester hours with a grade of “C” or better in the following disciplines: Communication Arts (ENGL, COMM, Literature), Math, Science, and Social Science (ECON, GEOG, HIST, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology) prior to graduation.
- All Professional Education majors must complete PSYC 1003 or PSYC 1113. Advisors recommend those courses be completed as part of the General Education course sequence.
Additional Degree Information - College of Liberal Arts
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.A., B.A.Ed., B.F.A. and B.M.E. degrees require at least 80 hours. B.S. and B.S.Ed. degrees require at least 55 hours. B.G.S. and B.S.W. degrees require at least 40 hours. Liberal Arts and Science courses are designated with a “#” after the course title.
For more information, see Bachelor’s Degree Requirements .