Dec 15, 2018
OSRHE Program Code: 076
CIP Code: 150703
Major Code: 8300
- 8301 - EHSM Major/Minor
- 8302 - Environmental Management
- 8303 - Safety Management
This Bachelor of Science degree program is designed to prepare people for careers in a variety of environmental, health and safety related fields including government, industrial and privately owned companies. This interdisciplinary degree is a 54 semester hour major/minor program. Students may elect to pursue either the Environmental or Safety Management options that both require a minor, but the major/minor is normally recommended. This program is designed to familiarize the student with state and federal environmental and occupational safety and health regulations. Emphasis is placed on management skills necessary to ensure compliance, provide employee training, and to promote continuous improvement through innovation to reduce waste generation and eliminate or minimize exposures to create safer and healthier workplaces and environments. An internship is available for those who qualify that offers on-the-job training. Those who wish to work for governmental agencies such OSHA, EPA, and the NRC or allied health related fields will need to take additional appropriate science and mathematics courses. Students in the Environmental, Health and Safety major must complete CHEM 1123, CHEM 1131, General Chemistry 1 Lecture and Lab and BADM 3933, Business Statistics as part of the General Education requirements.
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program’s plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
Environmental, Health & Safety Management Core - 24 hours
Select one of the following options:
Environmental, Health & Safety Management (Major/Minor) Required Courses - 24 hours (8301)
Electives for Major/Minor - 6 hours
Environmental Management Required Courses - 6 hours (8302)
Electives for Environmental Management - 6 hours
Safety Management Required Courses - 6 hours (8303)
Electives for Safety Management - 6 hours
Major Total - 54 hours (Major/Minor)
Major Total - 36 hours (Environmental or Safety Management)
Minor -18 hours (for Environmental Mgmt & Safety Mgmt Options)
A minor is required for the Environmental Management option and the Safety Management option.
*Minor is determined by consultation with a faculty advisor and/or department chair.
Additional Degree Information - College of Business and Technology
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.B.A and B.T. degrees require at least 40 hours and the B.S. degree requires at least 55 hours. Liberal Arts and Science courses are designated with a “#” after the course title.
For more information, see Bachelor’s Degree Requirements .