OSRHE Program Code: 062
CIP Code: 131312
Major Code: 4652
Before pursuing a major in music, all students must successfully complete a performance audition for entrance into the applied area of concentration (instrumental, piano, vocal). This requirement must be fulfilled before degree plans can be approved and advisors assigned.
Transfer students are given placement tests to determine what academic music courses are best suited for their background and experience. Students who have taken Music Theory or Piano courses at other institutions should consult the Transfer Guides at http://academics.nsuok.edu/music/TransferStudents.aspx to prepare for the exams. These are necessary to ensure that students have the appropriate background and can succeed in the courses they take.
Music majors are required to participate in at least one music ensemble per semester as specified in the individual degree plans. They are to pass MUS 3611 Wind Ensemble, MUS 3631 University/Community Chorus, or MUS 3681 Band.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Music Education (Instrumental winds and percussion) are required to pass Band a minimum of seven semesters.
Instrumental music majors with an emphasis in guitar may choose an appropriate ensemble as prescribed by their advisor.
Minimum Grade Requirements (Music) - Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in music courses to be used in either major or minor. Grades lower than a “C” on NSU or transfer credit will not apply for music major or music minor.
All music majors must pass the Junior Standing Jury (except BA Musical Arts and Music Business students) as prescribed by the music area (keyboard, instrumental, vocal) before enrollment in any 4000 level applied music. Junior standing is also a prerequisite to MUS 3030, Senior Recital.
Students are to declare a major in music by the beginning of their sophomore year. Transfer students are to declare a major in music by the end of their first semester as an NSU student.
At least one fourth of the total semester hours in the major applied music area must be upper level credit from NSU.
General Education Requirements: Music Majors
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. Some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
All music majors are required to take MUS 2863 World Music as part of the humanities hours in the general education requirements.
Music Education Core - 33 hours
Select one of the Applied Music Tracks (options) listed below.
Instrumental - 31 to 32 hours
- Major Instrument 10 hours
Keyboard/Instrumental - 31 to 32 hours
- Keyboard 8 hours
- Second Instrument 5 hours
Keyboard/Vocal - 32 hours
- Applied Keyboard 10 hours
Percussion - 31 to 32 hours
- Applied Percussion 11 hours
Major Total - 64 to 65 hours
Professional Education Requirements (K-12) BME 26 hours
Teacher Education Admission and Certification Policies
In addition to courses in the discipline, all students completing a BA or BS degree in Education degree must meet the following requirements for certification.
- Be accepted for admission to teacher education, pre-II internship, and full internship according to published course sequence and guidelines.
- Demonstrate proficiency at the high novice level in a language other than English.
- Develop a portfolio which documents their accomplishments, learning, and strengths related to the competencies, standards, and outcomes established by the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, and the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Complete all courses in the major and Professional Education Core with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Students entering NSU beginning Fall 2013 must have an overall GPA of 2.75 for admission to teacher education.
- Once admitted to the teacher education program, all majors must continue to maintain a GPA of 2.5 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education core) through completion with the exception that Early Childhood, Elementary, and Special Education majors must maintain a GPA of 2.75 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education) through completion.
- 4 X 12 requirement - Early Childhood, Elementary Education, and Special Education programs require completion of 12 semester hours with a grade of “C” or better in the following disciplines: Communication Arts (ENGL, COMM, Literature), Math, Science, and Social Science (ECON, GEOG, HIST, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology) prior to graduation.
- All Professional Education majors must complete PSYC 1003 or PSYC 1113. Advisors recommend those courses be completed as part of the General Education course sequence.
Additional Degree Information - College of Liberal Arts
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.A., B.A.Ed., B.F.A. and B.M.E. degrees require at least 80 hours. B.S. and B.S.Ed. degrees require at least 55 hours. B.G.S. and B.S.W. degrees require at least 40 hours. Liberal Arts and Science courses are designated with a “#” after the course title.
For more information, see Bachelor’s Degree Requirements .