Sep 19, 2020
OSRHE Program Code: 028
CIP Code: 230101
Major Code: 4250
- 4252 - Generalist
- 4256 - TESOL
The Generalist track in the Bachelor of Arts in English degree is designed to provide a diverse and wide ranging curriculum in literature, composition, and language usage. The degree provides a generalist program that prepares the student for entry into the professional world or graduate study.
The Bachelor of Arts in English TESOL option provides students with foundational understanding of the theories and practices of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages sufficient for use in various teaching contexts domestically and abroad or for further study of language topics. The program promotes a holistic understanding of language, culture, pedagogy, assessment, and professionalism.
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program’s plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
English General Education Requirements
The following are course prerequisites that may be completed as part of the General Education requirements.
English Core - 30 hours
English majors must earn a grade of “C” or higher in any course counting toward the English major. The 30 hour core includes the Linguistics and Writing requirements.
Linguistics Requirement - 3 hours
Writing Requirement - 3 hours
Select one of the following options:
Generalist - 18 hrs (4252)
Students must take 3 credit hours from each of the following five categories along with an additional 3 credit hours from any category for a TOTAL of 18 hours.
Variable Topics Courses
The following courses may be considered as an accepted course for multiple categories as the content varies by semester. The content (as defined by the long title of the course each semester) will determine under which category the course will apply. Courses cannot double count in two categories.
American Literature - 3 hours
British Literature - 3 hours
Native Literature - 3 hours
World Literature - 3 hours
Minor - 18 hours
A minor is required for the English major.
Additional Degree Information - College of Liberal Arts
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.A., B.A.Ed., B.F.A. and B.M.E. degrees require at least 80 hours. B.S. and B.S.Ed. degrees require at least 55 hours. B.G.S. and B.S.W. degrees require at least 40 hours. Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) courses are identified in catalog course descriptions.
For more information, see Bachelor’s Degree Requirements .