OSRHE Program Code: 041
CIP Code: 131314
Major Code: 5350
The program prepares highly competent teachers dedicated to the field of health and physical education and qualified to teach students in grades PK-12.
NSU’s educator preparation programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), www.caepnet.org, (1140 19th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036-1023, 202-223-0077), and the Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability (840 Research Parkway, Suite 455, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, 405-522-5399), www.ok.gov/oeqa
In addition to completing all program requirements, teacher candidates must pass the following certification tests to earn Oklahoma certification: Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET); the appropriate Oklahoma Subject Area Test (OSAT); and the Oklahoma Professional Teaching Examination (OPTE). There are fees associated with certification testing which is administered by an outside agency under contract with the Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability. NSU’s Education Certification office can assist with information regarding university recommendation for certification.
General Education: K-12 and Secondary Education Majors
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. Some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
Students seeking education majors in secondary and K-12 teaching fields should take these courses from the General Education requirements to meet certification requirements and prerequisites for upper division work.
Health & Physical Education General Education Requirements
The following is a course prerequisite that may be completed as part of the General Education requirements.
Major Requirements - 48 hours
Professional Education Requirements
(29 semester hours)
Accelerated B.S.Ed. Health and Physical Education to M.S. Health and Sport Science: Health Education
Note: Please refer to Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Degree Program for complete information concerning the Accelerated Degree Program. Refer to the current Graduate Catalog for master’s degree requirements.
Students admitted to the Accelerated B.S.Ed. Health and Physical Education to M.S. Health and Sport Science: Health Education degree program will complete up to 9 hours of graduate level credit to apply toward both the undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Students may not receive credit toward the bachelor’s degree for both the undergraduate and the paired graduate-level course. A student completing an undergraduate course and the paired graduate-level course will only receive credit for one course toward the bachelor’s degree.
A minimum grade of C is required for all 5000 level graduate courses.
Students who do not follow the approved degree plan may become ineligible to continue in the accelerated degree program.
Prior to completing the undergraduate degree, if the undergraduate GPA, graduate GPA and/or overall GPA fall below a 3.00, the student becomes ineligible to continue in the ADP.
Students may withdraw from an approved accelerated degree pathway. Graduate credit hours completed prior to the student withdrawing or becoming ineligible to continue in the ADP apply toward the undergraduate degree only.
|B.S.Ed. Health and Physical Education
||M.S. Health and Sport Science: Health Education Option
|H ED 4323 School Health Education and Promotion
||H ED 5183 Methods and Strategies in Health Education
|H ED 4353 Community Health
||H ED 5013 Foundations of Health Education and Promotion
|P ED 4223 Measurement and Evaluation of Health and Physical Education
||H ED 5553 Research Methods in Health Education and Sport
ADP Major Requirements for B.S.Ed. - 48 hours
ADP Major Total - 48 hours
ADP Professional Education Requirements
Teacher Education Admission and Certification Policies
In addition to courses in the discipline, all students completing a BA or BS degree in Education degree must meet the following requirements for certification.
- Be accepted for admission to teacher education, pre-II internship, and full internship according to published course sequence and guidelines.
- Demonstrate proficiency at the high novice level in a language other than English.
- Develop a portfolio which documents their accomplishments, learning, and strengths related to the competencies, standards, and outcomes established by the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, and the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Complete all courses in the major and Professional Education Core with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Students entering NSU beginning Fall 2013 must have an overall GPA of 2.75 for admission to teacher education.
- Once admitted to the teacher education program, all majors must continue to maintain a GPA of 2.5 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education core) through completion.
- 4 X 12 requirement - Early Childhood, Elementary Education, and Special Education programs require completion of 12 semester hours with a grade of “C” or better in the following disciplines: Communication Arts (English, Communication, Literature), Math, Science, and Social Science (Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology) prior to graduation.
- All Professional Education majors must complete PSYC 1003 or PSYC 1113. Advisors recommend those courses be completed as part of the General Education course sequence.
Additional Degree Information - College of Education
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.A and B.A.Ed. degrees require at least 80 hours. B.S. and B.S.Ed. degrees requires at least 55 hours. Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) courses are identified in catalog course descriptions.
For more information, see Bachelor’s Degree Requirements .