Jan 21, 2021
OSRHE Program Code: 042
CIP Code: 540101
Major Code: 9375
The Bachelor of Arts in History program is particularly suitable for individuals planning to continue their education in graduate history programs or in professional schools such as law or divinity. Career opportunities are also available in government service, journalism, and other occupations and professions requiring a broad background, critical thinking, and research ability. Students seeking to teach in K-12 schools should pursue the Social Studies, B.A. Ed. degree.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of American, European, and world history.
- Apply historical thinking skills such as sourcing, contextualization, close reading, and corroboration.
- Demonstrate the ability to research and write lucid, scholarly papers.
- Prepare for globally-engaged citizenship.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for the historical experience of people of different race, ethnicity, gender, class, and region.
- Apply appropriate technology to the study of history.
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program’s plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
History General Education Requirements
The following courses should be completed as part of the General Education requirements.
Electives - 21 hours
- U.S. History Advanced Electives - 6 hours
- European History Advanced Electives - 6 hours
- History Advanced Electives and/or HIST 2523 - 3 hours
- World History Electives - Select 6 hours from the following:
Minor - 18 hours
A minor is required for the History major.
Additional Degree Information - College of Liberal Arts
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.A., B.A.Ed., B.F.A. and B.M.E. degrees require at least 80 hours. B.S. and B.S.Ed. degrees require at least 55 hours. B.G.S. and B.S.W. degrees require at least 40 hours. Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) courses are identified in catalog course descriptions.
For more information, see Bachelor’s Degree Requirements .