Dec 04, 2020
OSRHE Program Code: 050
CIP Code: 090401
Major Code: 4453
- 4456 - Multimedia
- 4457 - Public Relations/Advertising
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop an awareness and appreciation of the foundations of the structure, practices, procedures, history, theory and effects of mass media.
- Write correctly and clearly for the appropriate media outlet.
- Produce news stories for print and/or broadcast, public relations materials, advertising campaigns, or media analyses that are clear, accurate, thorough, and fair.
- Gather and critically evaluate information from sources.
- Develop an understanding of the history and development of media technologies and processes and the ways in which this history has affected the industry, individuals, and society.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current media technologies and their capabilities, limitations and implications from multiple perspectives, including that of producer and consumer.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically, creatively and independently.
- Develop an awareness of the diversity of a global society.
Minimum Grade Requirement
Students must earn a grade of C or better in courses used for major credit. Grades lower than a C from NSU or transfer institutions will not apply for major credit.
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program’s plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
Media Studies Core - 33 hours
Select one of the following options:
Multimedia - 12 hours (4456)
Complete 12 hours from the following:
Public Relations/Advertising - 12 hours (4457)
Complete 12 hours from the following:
Minor - 18 hours
A minor is required for the Media Studies major.
Additional Degree Information - College of Liberal Arts
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.A., B.A.Ed., B.F.A. and B.M.E. degrees require at least 80 hours. B.S. and B.S.Ed. degrees require at least 55 hours. B.G.S. and B.S.W. degrees require at least 40 hours. Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) courses are identified in catalog course descriptions.
For more information, see Bachelor’s Degree Requirements .