The main Tahlequah campus of Northeastern State University covers an area of approximately 200 acres, five times the original forty acres purchased from the Cherokee Tribal Government. Many improvements in landscaping have been made in recent years, yet the native trees and the natural elevation of the grounds have been preserved and protected through the years and combine to make the campus outstanding for natural scenic beauty.
ADMINISTRATION BUILDING. Formerly the Student Center, this building now houses administrative offices, bursar’s office for student financial transactions, and the President’s Office. The lower level houses NSU’s Department of Public Safety and Parking & Transportation. Public Safety is responsible for the safety and protection of the students, employees, and property, and officers are on duty seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
ALUMNI CENTER. Located on the northeast corner of Cedar Avenue and Crafton Street, the Branscum Alumni Center was constructed with donations from friends of the university and members of the NSU Alumni Association. Dedicated in April 1989, the Alumni Center houses the office of Development and the NSU Alumni Association and features conference rooms and overnight accommodations for special guests.
ANIMAL CARE FACILITY. The Animal Care/Biosciences Research Facility is a special purpose resource for campus education and research activities. It houses several different species of animals as well as experimental protocols under controlled conditions.
BACONE HOUSE. Located at 320 Academy Street, the house was built in 1850 and restored in 1989, and now features a gallery and small group meeting facilities. The NSU Center for Tribal Studies is located in this building.
BAGLEY HALL. Classrooms and offices for the administration and faculty of the College of Education are located in this building. The Cappie Wadley Center for Reading and Technology is housed in this building along with computer labs, distance learning classrooms, and an early childhood education lab.
BASEBALL FIELD HOUSE. Located adjacent to the Thomas Rousey Memorial Baseball Field, the field house contains a weight-training room, indoor batting and pitching facilities, home and visiting team dressing areas with showers.
BATH HOUSE. Originally constructed in 1916 to serve the Female Seminary, this one-story brick building is located immediately behind Seminary Hall. It was renovated into office space in 1975 and currently houses offices for Student Financial Services.
BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY BUILDING. Renovated in 2011, one portion of this building was constructed in 1968; an addition was completed in 1970 which more than doubled the size of the original building. The first floor contains administrative and faculty offices, and classrooms. The second and third floors contains offices and classrooms. Technology laboratories for engineering design, Computer Aided Design (CAD), graphic arts and technology education are available to support programming. The building also houses NSU’s Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
CENTER FOR ADMISSIONS AND STUDENT ENROLLMENT (CASE) BUILDING. This two-story brick building was originally built in 1950, renovated in 1981 and renovated again in 2007-2008 to provide students easy access to enrollment-related services including Admissions and Recruitment, Registrar, Career Services, Enrollment Services, and Transfer Student Services.
CERAMICS BUILDING. Located on the northwest corner of the campus, this brick building, formerly a shop building of Bagley High School now contains laboratory equipment and material for the ceramics classes for the art program.
CONTINUING EDUCATION. Located on the south end of campus and the north end of Muskogee Avenue, this building currently houses Continuing Education.
DOC WADLEY STADIUM at GABLE FIELD. The athletic field is located approximately one-half mile north of the main campus. This stadium will seat 12,000 persons. Parking space, track, and football facilities are provided in this area. An Indoor Practice Facility (The Dome) was built in 2005 with private funding.
EVENT CENTER. Opened in November, 2014, the Event Center is an 86,000 square foot multipurpose facility with flexible seating for 4,000 visitors. The building includes a basketball/volleyball court, offices for athletic staff, locker rooms, concession areas and meeting rooms. Adjoining the center is the Tahlequah Community Center which provides the community and university additional meeting and banquet space.
FINE ARTS BUILDING. Recently renovated, the Center for the Performing Arts seats 1,025 persons and features a stage to accommodate musical and theatrical productions, with sound shells, lighting and scenery equipment. The south wing of the building houses music classes, practice rooms, and a rehearsal room for band and orchestra. The north wing includes offices, practice rooms, several large classrooms, and a choral rehearsal room; the lower floor houses the Art Department.
FITNESS CENTER. Renovated in 2014-15, the Fitness Center provides a pool facility, indoor track, two full-sized basketball courses, areas for weight and cardio training, group fitness rooms and offices for staff as well as the Health and Kinesiology department. Students have complimentary access to fitness center facilities while faculty, staff, and community members may purchase memberships. The Tahlequah campus Student Health Center is also located here.
HASKELL HALL. This building, located just east of the John Vaughan Library was constructed in 1937; an addition was completed in 1960. In addition to serving as a residence hall for some learning communities, Haskell Hall houses NSU’s ROTC program as well as the department of Psychology & Counseling’s administrative and faculty offices.
W.W. HASTINGS PROPERTY. Acquired from the U.S. Public Health Service in 1988, this complex was originally the site of the W.W. Hastings Indian Hospital. Portions of the property were remodeled in 1990, and now house the Optometry Clinic as well as administrative and faculty offices and classrooms of the NSU Oklahoma College of Optometry. NSU’s Motor Pool is located in an auxiliary building at that site.
HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION BUILDING. This facility includes the North Gymnasium which contains faculty offices, classrooms and gymnasium space; and the South Gymnasium (Jack Dobbins Field House) which was renovated and received a new facade in 1994. The South Gymnasium features indoor sports courts and classrooms.
JAZZ LAB. Located at 315 North Muskogee, this building officially opened in June 1993. It combines faculty offices and classrooms with performance and casual dining space, making it a unique facility supporting both the academic and performance aspects of the expanding jazz music program. Numerous special concerts and events are held at the Jazz Lab throughout the year.
JOHN VAUGHAN LIBRARY. Originally constructed as a two-story building in 1948 and expanded to three stories in 1966, this building was renovated in 1996. The building’s electrical and telecommunications infrastructure has been updated and expanded to serve the demands of information technology. With 120,000 square feet of space, seating for 600, 60 publicly accessible computer workstations and terminals, and more than 50,000 feet of linear shelf space, the John Vaughan Library meets the American Library Association/Association of College and Research Libraries space and seating standards. The east wing of the library, renovated in 1998, houses the library archives, and special collections.
JOURNALISM BUILDING. This building houses offices and classrooms for NSU’s journalism programs as well as offices for the University’s public information services, Communication and Marketing.
LEOSER CENTER. Located in the center of the largest residence complex on the campus, Leoser Center contains the Office of Housing & Residence Life, along with conference rooms, student organization offices and a computer lab for residence hall students. Also located in Leoser Center are the Pizza Hut Express with convenience store items, the student newspaper offices, and other administrative services.
PHYSICAL PLANT. First occupied in 1963 as the heating plant, the building is now used as headquarters for all Physical Plant administrative personnel as well as structural and systems staff
RESIDENCE FACILITIES. Located on the Tahlequah campus, all residence halls include free use of laundry rooms, cable TV, local phone service, NSU internet, all utilities, custodial service in public areas and 24-hour emergency maintenance. Family and staff housing is available at Courtside apartments. All units include all appliances, laundry equipment, water, local phone service, and NSU internet. (Apartment gas and electric are provided by Tahlequah Public Works Authority.) Dining facilities include the Market Café in the University Center (UC), the Food Court (UC), Flo’s Place (UC), Essentials in Leoser,and Grill and C-Store at Seminary Suites.
ROSAMUND HOUSE. This restored 1886 residence on the southwest side of the Tahlequah campus is a unique university facility used for official guests of the University, as well as special receptions and programs.
SCIENCE CENTER. This building was first occupied in the fall of 1957 with an addition in 1962 and a complete renovation in 2007. Classrooms and offices for biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics and physics are located in this building. A new Science Lab building, constructed in 2006, is attached to the renovated science building. The Science Lab building has state-of-the-art laboratories for the biological and physical sciences.
SEMINARY HALL. The oldest building on the campus, Seminary Hall was the Cherokee Female Seminary purchased from the Cherokees. Completely restored in 1994, Seminary Hall houses academic and faculty offices and classrooms. Prominently featured in Seminary Hall and preserved in the restoration, are three Indian murals painted in the 1930s by Kiowa artists Stephen Mopope, Jack Hokeah and Pawnee artist Albin Jake
SEMINARY SUITES. Seminary Suites is a 314-bed apartment-style complex exclusively for single NSU students. All suites have private bedrooms in either a 4-bedroom/2-bath or 2-bedroom/2-bath configuration. Academic year rates include all university holiday periods. Amenities include all utilities, local phone service, NSU internet, free laundry facilities, clubhouse, swimming pool, volleyball court and front door parking.
SHAWNEE STREET THEATRE. A performance facility with 268 seats, a proscenium stage and a state-of-the-art sound and light systems, this theatre is currently closed for renovation. All performances of the River Street Players have been moved to University Playhouse.
SOCCER AND SOFTBALL FIELD HOUSE. Located between the women’s softball field and the men’s soccer field, this complex contains indoor soccer practice and softball pitching facilities as well as home and visiting team dressing areas with showers.
SPECIAL SERVICES BUILDING. The Special Services Building primarily contains the offices and classrooms for the College of Education’s robotics program and Robotics Academy of Critical Engagement (RACE).
UNIVERSITY CENTER. Conveniently located between the housing complexes and the classroom facilities, the University Center serves as a hub for student, community, and conference activities. The University Center houses the following campus services: the RiverHawk Shoppe, the Market Cafe, the Food Court, Flo’s (coffee house), the Drop Zone (mailing service), ID Services, the Copy Zone (printing and copying services), the Student Activities and Involvement office (Student Affairs), NSGA, meeting rooms, ballroom and the offices for Conferences and Events, the Sodexo Food Service Office and the University Center Management.
UNIVERSITY PLAYHOUSE. This building was acquired in 1983 and renovated to resemble a turn-of-the-century theatre with enhanced sound and lighting systems and improved accessibility. The theatre has a revolving thrust stage and antique cast-iron and walnut seating for approximately 200 persons. The Playhouse serves as home to the NSU Downtown Country Players and is used by the Speech Communication and Theatre Department for classes and productions.
The WEBB (W. Roger Webb Technology Center) formerly the Northeastern Education and Technology (NET) Building. This building is the heart of the NSU electronic campus. Opened in January 1997, the six-story, 54,000 square foot building contains auditorium spaces, classrooms, computing labs, and faculty and administrative offices. The offices and facilities of Computing and Telecommunications, including the studios of K04DY, the NSU low-power television station, are located here.
WILSON HALL. Located west of the John Vaughan Library and constructed in the 1930s, Wilson Hall previously served NSU as a women’s dormitory complete with parlors and a small coffee shop called Flo’s to recognize Florence Wilson who served as principal of the Cherokee Female Seminary for many years. Wilson Hall is currently closed for renovation and repurposing.
L.P. WOODS CENTER. This 1921 house was acquired and renovated in 1987. It currently houses the office of the Sequoyah Institute and the Living Literature Center.