Jun 13, 2024  
2020-21 NSU Graduate Catalog 
2020-21 NSU Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Academic Information


Academic Advisement

Academic Policies

Auditing Classes

Classification of Graduate Students

Course Credit and Delivery Guidelines

Discontinued Programs


English Proficiency - Faculty




Library / Learning Resources

Retention Standards


Transferring to NSU

General Information

Any student admitted to a graduate program at Northeastern State University will abide by requirements as stated in the Graduate Catalog current at the date of his/her admission to the graduate program OR by requirements in the most recently published catalog with the following exceptions:

  1. The student is bound by the transfer requirements existing at the time of transfer of credit.
  2. If a requirement, other than transfer or fiscal, has been changed since the student’s admission date, the student may elect to abide by the newer requirement in the most recently published catalog.
  3. The student who misses more than two consecutive regular semesters (fall/spring) must re-apply to the Graduate College and the degree program. Re-admission requires filing a new degree plan.

In addition to the Graduate Catalog regulations and procedures outlined below, the student is also responsible for adhering to additional college/departmental and program policies concerning the student’s degree program. 

A graduate student has the right to file a request for a waiver to a Graduate College regulation or a request to appeal a decision based on Graduate College policy.  The request must be made in writing to the Dean of the Graduate College.  The request for waiver or appeal will be considered by the Graduate Council.  A simple majority vote will rule.  The student may appear personally before the Council to further present his/her case and answer questions.  The appeal form is available on the Graduate College website.


Active Military Service

“Students who are members, either officers or enlisted, of the Reserve Components to include the Army and Air National Guard and the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, the Coast Guard Reserves, or any other component of the Armed Forces of the United States, shall, when ordered by the proper authority to active or inactive duty or service, be entitled to a leave of absence for the period of such service without loss of enrollment status. During the first thirty (30) regularly scheduled academic days of such leave during the academic period, the student shall receive consideration for time absent.”

“If a student is called to active or inactive duty or service during a term in which the student has completed an amount of work sufficient to receive a grade, as determined by the university, the university may award a grade to the student and give the student academic credit for the full semester’s work. If the student has not completed an amount of work sufficient to receive a grade, the university may adjust enrollment status in accordance with the policy of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.” (RUSO, 4.2 Military Leave)

The following guidelines govern faculty responsibility toward students who are called to active military duty. These guidelines are not applicable to annual training for reservists or National Guard personnel which fall under regular University absence policies.

  1. Student called to active military duty as a war measure: If the student has attended classes through the twelfth week of a regular semester (at least three-fourths of other terms), the grade earned up to the time he/she is called to duty will be that issued for the course.
  2. Student called to active military duty, but not as a war measure:
    1. A student may withdraw with 100 percent refund;
    2. Instructor may permit an incomplete if the student is making satisfactory progress;
    3. Faculty may allow the student other alternatives.
  3. If student attendance ends prior to twelfth week of classes, a 100 percent refund will be issued.
  4. The student must provide a copy of his/her military orders to the Office of the Registrar before a refund is issued or an incomplete grade contract is processed.
  5. If a student is called to active duty, and stops attending classes without notifying instructors, a grade of “F” will be assigned at the end of the semester.  Subsequently, upon receipt of appropriate documentation, a change of grade may be processed utilizing the Grade Change Procedure.

Representing NSU

Absences for University-authorized functions may be permitted only after the activity sponsor has received authorization (see NSU Faculty Handbook. 10.2.4b).  This authorization does not excuse students from fulfilling assignments and tests in the course, but authorizes them to receive reasonable accommodations from the instructor in fulfilling the assignments. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor prior to the event to make arrangements for the classes missed.

Student absences from classes which are due to University-sponsored activities require that the sponsor complete the appropriate request form, “University Authorization for Student Class Absences.” Student eligibility to participate in university-sponsored activities is verified by the Office of Student Affairs. Students must be enrolled in the current semester, must meet the requirements of the sponsoring organization/activity, and must not be on conduct probation to be eligible to represent the University. Once eligibility is verified, the form is sent to Academic Affairs for faculty notification.  Forms should be in Student Affairs at least ten working days prior to the requested absence.

Once the absence form has been approved, Academic Affairs will send faculty of classes in which students are enrolled an “Absentee Report.” These reports verify that the absence has been authorized as a University function. They include the course, student’s name, the activity, and date(s) of absence.

Faculty are expected to accommodate the student’s schedule by permitting assignments to be handed in or tests taken, early or late; or by making other appropriate adjustments. Faculty may not arbitrarily penalize a student’s grade resulting from University-authorized absences.

Student Illness or Emergency

Students missing three or more days due to an illness or emergency may contact the Office of Student Affairs who will notify each affected faculty member. Students should not report absences due to medical appointments that result in fewer than three days of absences.

Academic Advisement

A faculty advisor is assigned to each graduate student when admitted to the Graduate College if a graduate program is declared. It is the student’s responsibility to make an appointment with his/her advisor prior to the first enrollment. Office hours maintained by faculty advisors during the semester vary depending upon their teaching schedule. Their regularly scheduled office hours are posted at their office or online. Faculty advisors maintain office hours during the semester only and are not generally available between semesters. Advisors are available in the summer only if they are teaching and then only during the weeks they are teaching.  The Directory on the NSU website details telephone number, office location, and e-mail addresses for additional advisor information.

The advisor continues to counsel with and assist students throughout their graduate program. The advisor serves as chair of the student’s committee in the programs that require a committee.  

Advisory Committee

Some degree programs require an advisory committee. The committee administers candidacy oral examinations and makes recommendations for candidacy, monitors synergistic and internship experiences, administers final oral examination, and monitors and approves research papers or theses.  The advisor generally serves as chair of the committee. Other members are determined by the department, advisor, and student.

Program Admission

During the initial meeting with the academic advisor, the graduate student will review the prerequisites and conditions necessary for formal admissions to the intended degree program. When all of the prerequisite conditions have been met, the graduate student will be formally admitted to the program using the program’s prescribed process. The signed program admission form will then be sent to the Graduate College for final verification.

Plan of Study

In developing the plan of study, the advisor will determine the student’s educational background and identify needs. The student’s needs may be revealed by the transcript, experience, performance on an aptitude test, or suggestions from an employer or supervisor.

Courses for which the student has previously received graduate credit will not be included in the plan of study unless they contribute to the student’s program. The plan of study must be approved by the advisor and the Dean of the Graduate College. Any alteration in the plan must be approved by the advisor and the Dean of the Graduate College. The degree plan will not be approved until requirements for admission to the graduate program are met. 

Statement of Understanding

All degree plans must be accompanied by the signed Statement of Understanding.  The Statement of Understanding stipulates the requirements and responsibilities of the graduate student and the Graduate College toward the completion of the degree program.

Academic Policies

Academic Misconduct

Academic misconduct includes cheating (using unauthorized materials, information, or study aids in any academic exercise), plagiarism, falsification of records, unauthorized possession of examinations, intimidation, any and all other actions that may improperly affect the evaluation of a student’s academic performance or achievement, or assisting others in any such act or attempts to engage in such acts.  Academic misconduct in any form is contrary to the purposes and functions of the University and therefore is unacceptable and prohibited.

Any faculty member, administrator, or staff member may identify an act of academic misconduct and should report that act to the department head/college dean, Vice President for Academic Affairs or administrative supervisor.

Students violating the standards of academic honesty are subject to disciplinary action including reduction of a grade(s) in a specific course, assignment, paper, or project; a formal or informal reprimand at the professorial, dean, or academic vice president level; expulsion from the class in which the violation occurred; expulsion from a program; or expulsion from the university.

Administrative Withdrawal

Students in all classes are subject to administrative withdrawal.  This action may adversely impact financial aid, veteran’s benefits, and/or athletic eligibility; therefore, it is important that students attend class regularly and contact their instructor regarding absences.

Students who enroll in a course or courses and never attend or have poor attendance or participation as determined by the instructor may be administratively withdrawn “AW.”  The administrative withdrawal “AW” can be processed from week six through week twelve of sixteen week courses.  AW deadlines for courses delivered using other schedule formats (eight week, four week, etc.) will be based on the same percentages of completion.

Students who are administratively withdrawn will be responsible for payment and repaying any financial aid received for the course or courses that must be returned to the provider.

Drops and Withdrawals

If it is necessary for a student to drop a single class, withdraw from a single class, or withdraw completely from all courses at the university, the student must complete the process by doing the following:

  • Drop a single course (on or before the full refund date) - The student can drop via goNSU unless he/she has a hold that impacts registration.  In the case of a hold, contact the Office of the Registrar or the University Advising Center.
  • Withdraw from a single course (after the refund date) - The student can withdraw via goNSU unless he/she has a hold that impacts registration.  In the case of a hold, contact the Office of the Registrar or the University Advising Center.
  • Completely withdraw from all courses - The student must complete a Semester Withdrawal form available online.  The form is also available in the Office of the Registrar at the Tahlequah Campus or the Enrollment Services Office at the Broken Arrow or Muskogee campuses.

Drop During Refund Period - if a student drops a class during the refund period, the course will not appear on the academic record. 

Withdrawal Before or During the Twelfth Week - if a student withdraws from a single class or completely from the university after the refund period through the end of the twelfth week of a regular fall or spring semester, a grade of “W” is automatically assigned regardless of the student’s progress in the course.  The automatic “W” period for short term classes is prorated at 3/4 time from the start of class.

Withdrawal After the Twelfth Week - If a student withdraws from a single class or completely from the university after the twelfth week (automatic “W” period), the instructor will assign a “W” or “F” depending on the student’s standing in the class at the time of withdrawal.  A “W” will be assigned if the student was passing at the time of withdrawal. An “F” will be assigned if the student was failing at the time of withdrawal.

Drop and withdrawal deadlines are published each semester in the schedule of courses.  Failure to follow the above procedures may have a negative impact on a student’s standing with the university and financial aid status.

Records Holds, Student Obligations, Suspensions

Each student, upon matriculation at the University, assumes an obligation to obey all rules and regulations made by properly constituted authorities.  A hold may be placed on a student’s file by the appropriate office for 1) academic deficiencies such as unmet admission requirements, poor grades, etc. 2) financial obligations and 3. lack of compliance with University regulations and policies.  

The University may not release records including transcripts for students who have financial or other obligations to the University, or who are found responsible for not complying with University regulations and policies outlined in the Policy Manual of the Board of Regents of the Regional University System of Oklahoma.

A hold on records or the suspension of a student can be authorized by the President, Provost / Vice President of Academic Affairs, or the Vice President of Student Affairs as outlined in University policies and procedures.

Auditing Classes

Students who wish to audit classes must complete the admissions process and then contact the Office of the Registrar.  Students must meet any proficiency requirements or prerequisites prior to enrollment.  Students who audit courses will pay any tuition and fees assigned to that course except as specified below for senior citizens. An auditor may not petition later for academic credit.  A student may not change enrollment from credit to audit after the regular drop and add period.  Students may not attend classes unless they are appropriately admitted to the university and enrolled in the course.

Auditing of Classes by Senior Citizens:  State System institutions are authorized to waive the tuition and fees for auditing of classes for residents of the state of Oklahoma who are sixty-five (65) years of age or older. Such students may be admitted without charge to classes on a space available basis.  (OSRHE

  • Students must meet Oklahoma residency requirements as defined by the Oklahoma State Regents, be age sixty-five (65) or older, and must verify both residency and age by presenting a valid driver’s license, birth certificate, etc.
  • Enrollment is allowed only if the normal class limit has not been met. No class overloads will be allowed.  Students will be enrolled the Friday before the class begins if space is available.

Classification of Graduate Students

A graduate student is an individual who has earned a bachelor’s degree, who has completed an Application for Graduate Admission, and who has been admitted to a 1. a specific graduate degree program, 2. a certificate program, 3. a re-certification program, or as a 4. non-degree pursuing student.

Course Credit and Delivery Guidelines

Course Numbers

Graduate level courses are numbered in the 5000s.  Courses applicable to a master’s degree must be 5000 level with some exceptions of approved NSU 4000-level courses. 4000-level courses which are included in the Graduate Catalog for select graduate programs include a GC in the NOTES section of the course description.  5000-level courses which are included in the Undergraduate Catalog for accelerated bachelor’s to master’s degree programs include a UC in the NOTES section of the course description. Students may apply a maximum of nine hours of 4000 level coursework toward a graduate program provided the student earns a grade of B or better and obtains an additional workload contract prior to the beginning of the course.  The inclusion of hours and grade information of pre-approved 4000-level classes toward a master’s degree is made only upon graduation. For specific requirements and restrictions relating to the use of 4000 level courses, see individual degree programs.

The last digit of a course number indicates the number of semester hours of credit to be earned. A course number followed by an “L” indicates a non-credit laboratory course associated with a corresponding lecture.  At NSU, most master’s programs require a minimum of 36 credit hours with a few programs requiring additional hours to meet professional and accreditation requirements.  Master’s programs requiring more than 36 graduate credit hours include the counseling psychology program, speech language pathology program, occupational therapy degree and the physician assistant studies program.

Distance Learning (online, blended, VCM, ITV)

Distance learning courses at NSU are available in online, blended, virtual class meeting, or interactive videoconferencing (ITV) formats. All online, blended and virtual class formats will include information about required face-to-face or virtual meetings in the course schedule to allow students to plan their attendance. 

Online courses are those where at least 75% of course content and activities are delivered over the Internet using Blackboard (NSU’s learning management system). Many online courses require no face-to-face meetings and students complete all course content and requirements over the Internet.

Blended courses are delivered through a combination of online and face-to-face formats.  Students come to classes on selected days during the semester and complete the remaining course content and requirements using Blackboard.

Videoconference (ITV) courses are delivered at the same time in different locations. Some NSU classes are video-conferenced among the Broken Arrow, Muskogee, and Tahlequah campuses and occasionally off-campus locations. For more information about the specific courses, check the class schedule listing through goNSU, NSU’s portal page

Virtual Class Meeting (VCM) courses allow students to use their home or university computer to attend class at designated times. 

Distance learning classes require an equivalent amount of work for each Carnegie credit hour (See Online Courses below)  To ensure that distance learning classes meet this requirement, the same course syllabus, goals, and learning objectives as those found in the face to face courses are used, and an analysis of online activities is completed.  Distance learning courses are reviewed to ensure that the equivalent amount of work and learning are accomplished.

Face to Face Courses

At NSU, one semester credit is equivalent to a minimum of 800 clock minutes, meeting 50 minutes each week for 16 weeks (OSRHE, 3.19.3). Classes taught in lengths less than 16 weeks will have the minutes per session adjusted to equal a total of 800 instructional minutes per credit hour. The vast majority of classes offered at NSU are 3 credit hours. During a 16-week semester session, these courses meet 150 minutes per week, either 50 minutes three times a week or 75 minutes twice a week.  To be successful, students should expect to study an additional 2-3 hours per week per credit hour outside of formal instructional time for each class.

Laboratory Credit

Laboratory credit is normally awarded at a rate not to exceed one-half the instructional rate. One semester-hour of credit is normally awarded for completion of a laboratory meeting a minimum of 1600 minutes (100 minutes per week for sixteen weeks).

Online Courses

In online courses, the “traditional” credit hour contact hours are defined by the number of hours of “time on task.” Time on task includes any time that students spend interacting with course materials and participating in learning activities, including, but not limited to readings, projects, assignments, videos, student-student or student-professor interaction, and exams. The federal definition of a credit hour requires one hour of instruction time and two hours of out-of-class student work per credit per week [34 CFR 600.2]. By multiplying the number of credit hours a course is worth by three clock hours’ instruction / out-of-class time, you can determine the minimum average per week for “time on task.” For example, in a 3-credit online course, students should plan on a minimum average of 9 hours per week of “time on task.”

Semester Course Load

Full-time Student: For a student enrolled during a fall or spring semester, nine to twelve (9-12) hours shall constitute a full load.  For a student enrolled during a summer session, five (5) hours shall constitute a full load.  International students must be enrolled in nine hours (9) hours of graduate credit each fall and spring semester.  Summer enrollment is optional.

Overload: Graduate students requesting course overload must be approved by the advisor and the department chair before submission to the Graduate College Dean for final approval.


A maximum of four semester hours may be applied toward a master’s degree by participating in workshops or short term courses.  (A short term course is generally a course which meets for less than two weeks.)  A withdrawal from a workshop or short term course must be completed prior to the first meeting.

Discontinued Programs

A student must complete a discontinued degree program within three (3) years of NSU’s effective deletion date for that program.  A currently enrolled student may not declare a degree program that has been suspended or deleted, regardless of the student’s catalog year.  Students who have stopped out for one enrollment period or more may not be readmitted into a program that has been suspended or deleted.  Exceptions to this policy may be considered on a case-by-case basis and require approval of the Provost / Vice President for Academic Affairs. NSU will make a reasonable attempt and use available contact information to notify students when a degree program is scheduled to be deleted.


To be eligible to represent the university in any intercollegiate contest, university-sponsored activity, or otherwise use the name of the Northeastern State University, a student must be currently enrolled and in good standing with the university (not owing money or on conduct probation) and meet the requirements of the sponsoring organization/activity.

English Proficiencies - Faculty

Oklahoma Statutes 70 O.S. §3224 and §3225 (2001) provide that all instructors, including all graduate teaching assistants, now employed or being considered for employment at institutions within the State System shall be proficient in speaking the English language so that they may adequately instruct students. (OSRHE 3.23)

Exceptions include the instruction of courses that are designed to be taught predominantly in a foreign language and elective, special arrangement courses such as individualized instruction and independent study courses.

Complaints - Students who have a concern regarding the English proficiency of an instructor should talk first with the department chair.  If the issue is not resolved, the student may speak with the dean, and if the issue is not resolved at the dean’s level, the student may contact Academic Affairs.  Students may file a formal complaint using the Report a Concern website, accessible at http://www.nsuok.edu/ReportConcern.aspx.


Students register for classes online via goNSU during the times listed in the schedule of classes each semester.  All fees for enrollment must be paid before the first day of classes. Students may not attend classes unless they are appropriately admitted to the university and enrolled in the course.

Students should arrange to visit with their assigned advisors prior to their scheduled enrollment. Advisors assist students with and approve schedules. Students cannot be readmitted or enroll for classes if they have holds from any office.  Graduate student enrollment typically opens in March for summer and fall semesters and in October for spring semester.  The student is responsible for the correctness of classes selected to meet degree program requirements. 

The university reserves the right to discontinue class in a section for which there is insufficient enrollment, to create new sections to which students may be transferred, and to reassign instructors for scheduled sections whenever the necessity of the university requires.

Late Enrollment

Late registration is permitted for one week after classes begin in the regular semester and for three days in the summer session.  A fee of $10.00 for late enrollment is charged. 


A student is expected to abide by the ethical standards of the graduate program and the profession for which s/he is preparing as well as the academic and student conduct policies of NSU.



Grading and GPA

For the purpose of distinguishing between the ranks of scholastic attainment, the following grading system is used at NSU.  To calculate your GPA, 1. Convert each grade to its numeric equivalent using the listing below.  2. Multiply each class grade by the number of credits earned.  For example: 3.0 (B) x 4.0 (credits) = 12   Finally, divide the number by total credits attempted.  This is your GPA.  A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) in all graduate course

work attempted is considered satisfactory progress and is the minimum required for graduation in the following categories:

  1. All graduate coursework
  2. All NSU graduate coursework
  3. All 5000-only coursework
  4. Degree program coursework
  5. Professional education
  6. Specialization

No course in which a grade below a C was earned will be counted toward degree requirements. The hours attempted in which a grade lower than C is received will be counted in calculating the grade point average with the grade of D and F assigned O grade point value. Grades and their values are as follows:


A - Excellent, 4 grade points each semester hour

B - Above average, 3 grade points each semester hour

C - Average, 2 grade points each semester hour

D - Below average, 0 grade point each semester hour

F - Failure, no grade points

I - Incomplete, GPA neutral

An Incomplete grade may be used at the instructor’s discretion to indicate that a substantial portion of the required coursework for the semester has been completed, but that additional work is needed to complete a course.  It is not a substitute for an “F,” and no student may be failing a course at the time an “I” grade is awarded.  Requiring students to repeat a course to remove an “I” grade is not permitted.  Students must resolve the incomplete grade by the date agreed upon by the student and instructor which shall be no more than one calendar year from when the incomplete grade was awarded.  “I” grades not changed by the instructor to a credit-bearing grade or an “F” within the one year period will remain as a permanent “I” and not contribute to the student’s GPA.  In extenuating circumstances, exceptions may be requested through the dean of the graduate college.

 P - Passing, no grade points, GPA neutral

NP - Not passing, no grade points, GPA neutral

S - Satisfactory, no grade points, GPA neutral

U - Unsatisfactory, no grade points, GPA neutral

W - Withdrawal, no grade points, GPA neutral

With a withdrawal, the credit hours of the course are not counted in calculating a student’s grade point average.  The automatic withdrawal grade of “W” will be assigned to all students for classes from which they officially withdraw or completely withdraw from the University BEFORE OR AT twelve weeks after classes begin during a regular (Fall or Spring) semester regardless of the student’s progress in the course at that time.  For any drop or withdrawal accepted after this deadline, a “W” or “F” will be assigned depending upon the student’s standing in the class and the institution’s stated withdrawal policy.  If an “F” grade is assigned, it is calculated in the student’s GPA; the “W” grade is GPA neutral.

AW - Administrative Withdrawal, GPA neutral

Administrative Withdrawal may be assigned by the Office of Academic Affairs to indicate that a student has been “involuntarily” withdrawn by the institution during the designated semester for disciplinary reasons, financial reasons, inadequate attendance, or inadequate participation in a course.  Formal institutional procedures for administrative withdrawal will be followed.  Administrative withdrawals are GPA neutral.

AU - Audit - Grade not reported, GPA neutral

Audit status is used for the student not interested in obtaining a course grade, but who is enrolled simply to get course information.

NA - Non-attendance, GPA neutral (prior to fall 2016)

Non-Attendance Withdrawal may be assigned by the Office of Academic Affairs to indicate that a student has been “involuntarily” withdrawn by the institution during the designated semester for complete non-attendance in a course.  Formal institutional procedures for non-attendance withdrawals will be followed.  Non-Attendance withdrawals are GPA neutral

X - Graduate thesis or dissertation in progress, GPA neutral 

Grades followed by an additional character indicate the work was completed as follows: 

1 - Correspondence

2 - Physical education activity

3 - CLEP

4 - Advanced placement

5 - Military

6 - Advanced standing

7 - Prior Learning Assessment (exam or portfolio)


T - Technical credit

Z - Remedial “0” level

Grades earned in 4000 level coursework applicable to the masters degree will be included in the cumulative grade average only upon graduation. 

Grade Reports

Mid-term grades will be posted for all students on academic notice or probation.  Final grade reports may be accessed via goNSU.

Grade Corrections

A faculty member may initiate a change of grade after grades have been submitted to the registrar’s office provided that:

  1. Justification for the grade change is made on the Change of Grade Form, approved by the Department Chair and Dean, and submitted to the registrar’s office for processing.
  2. The change is submitted within the first eight weeks of the semester following awarding of the original grade.

Once a degree is conferred, the registrar’s office will not process a grade change.

Grade Appeals

A student may petition a grade change by using the Grade Appeals Process if satisfactory resolution cannot be achieved after consultation with the instructor, department chair, and/or academic college Dean. The grade appeals process must be formally initiated with a written appeal to the Graduate Dean within four months following awarding of the original grade. The grade appeal process is available at the Graduate College office.  

The Graduate Grade Appeals Committee is comprised of faculty members who hold a Regular Graduate faculty appointment and have expressed an interest in serving on the Graduate Grade Appeals Committee.  This committee is an ad hoc committee of the Graduate College which is charged with conducting a review when a grade appeal is filed by a student for one of the following reasons: 1. Allegations that the instructor’s policy in assigning final grades is not applied consistently to all students within a class and section; 2. Allegations that the method of assigning grades differs from the method described in the instructor’s course syllabus or in the material made available by the instructor to the students; or 3. Allegations that the instructor’s policy on assignment of grades was not made known to students.


NSU provides both physical and online library services.  Physical library facilities are available at the Tahlequah and Broken Arrow campuses.  Library services include circulation of library materials, reference service, information retrieval, library and information literacy instruction, computer services, special collections and archival assistance, interlibrary loan.  For more information concerning the resources, services, and policies of NSU libraries, please visit our home page at http://library.nsuok.edu/index.html

NSU Libraries’ collections include over 411,595 physical books, 29,909 physical serial volumes, 9,087 audio/visual items, 60,775 electronic books, and subscriptions to 141 electronic databases.

The John Vaughan Library at the Tahlequah campus is a three-story, 120,000 square foot facility.  In addition to the reference, circulating, and serials collections, John Vaughan Library houses a collection of Oklahoma state curriculum materials and a youth collection, a special collection of Native American heritage materials and local history, and an archival collection of university records and historical photographs. John Vaughan Library houses two classrooms for library instruction, technology to assist sensory-impaired researchers, computers for use by researchers, and individual and group study spaces.

The library facilities on the Broken Arrow campus offer students an environment that is conducive to individual or group study and research.  The library houses a growing collection of print and electronic information resources as well as access to all library materials physically housed at other NSU campuses through courier and interlibrary loan.  In addition to individualized reference services, librarians provide library instruction classes in two library computer labs.

As most of the courses and programs originating from the Muskogee campus are delivered through distance delivery formats, library services at the Muskogee campus are available through courier delivery services and Internet collections available to all students 24/7.

The libraries also provide access to online resources and services that are available to all students and faculty from the Internet at “http://library.nsuok.edu/index.html.”  Online services currently include Internet access to over 140 databases containing a wide variety of information resources including electronic books; full text journals; journal indexes; electronic versions of reference books in a variety of subject areas; online maps, test information, design images, etc.  The growing electronic book collection. The library provides access to a collection of almost 47,000 Internet based journal titles.

Retention Standards

Academic Probation/Suspension/Readmission

Probation. A student whose grade point average falls below 3.0 during the pursuit of graduate studies is placed on probation. The grade report will show the student’s probation. To be removed from probation, the student must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 by the end of the next semester or next nine hours of enrollment.

Suspension. If the grade point average remains below 3.0 at the end of the probationary period, the student is suspended from the Graduate College and may not continue to pursue his/her graduate degree. Only through appeal to the Dean of the Graduate College and approval by the Graduate Council may a student continue in the program or later be readmitted.  Students must appeal their suspension within four months of notification.

Readmission.  If a student becomes inactive for one academic year (three semesters), s/he may apply for readmission. Readmission into a program will be determined by the Dean of the Graduate College and the Program Chair. A student who is readmitted to the Graduate College and a graduate program based upon a successful appeal to suspension or having been inactive for one year  must meet with his/her academic advisor to determine the number of hours allowed to be taken to raise the grade point average to a minimum of 3.0. The number of hours allowed must be approved by the Graduate Dean and documented on the Readmission Statement of Understanding. Readmitted students must earn a letter grade of A, B, W or I in each course taken throughout the remainder of graduate tenure.  Graduate courses that are not part of the student’s official degree plan may not be taken in an attempt to raise the GPA. A student, who fails to achieve a 3.0 cumulative grade point average upon completion of the approved number of hours, will be dismissed, will not be readmitted to the Graduate College and will not receive a graduate degree.

Resident Credit

A minimum of 24 semester hours must be earned from Northeastern State University.  Credit earned through correspondence study will not apply toward a master’s degree.

Time Limit

Credit will be applied toward a program only for work begun and completed within six years prior to the granting of the degree, exclusive of any time spent in the uniformed services of the United States.


NSU has partnered with Parchment for delivery of official NSU transcripts both electronically and printed and mailed. This service is available to current and former students. See the Registrar Office home page for additional information. Students may also pick up an official paper copy (transcript) of their NSU academic record stamped “issued to student” at the Tahlequah and Broken Arrow campuses. A maximum of five (5) copies per day are available if picked up in person.  Official transcripts reflecting most recent grades earned will be available one week following the conclusion of the term.

Transferring to NSU

A maximum of nine semester hours of approved transfer credit may be applied toward the master’s degree.  Students who wish to transfer graduate credit applicable to a degree program at Northeastern State University must have attained a B average in all graduate coursework attempted at the transferring institution.  No credit will be given for a transfer course in which the grade is lower than B. Coursework must meet the six-year time limit guideline.

International transfer students must meet the minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of  550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a score of 213 on the computer-based TOEFL for all applicants.  Students must provide a WES Evaluation (if degree was earned outside of the U.S.)

Final determination on credits accepted for transfer to Northeastern State University shall be made by the Registrar of the University under the authority of the Vice President of Academic Affairs.