Feb 28, 2024
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 49 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program’s plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
(42 semester hours)
Professional Education Requirements
(29 semester hours)
HHP and HPE Additional Policies
Health Education and Physical Education courses may not be repeated for credit except as stated in description of course.
All HHP/HPE Majors are expected to participate in a Department capstone experience as a requirement for graduation, and a Professional Development Site (PDS).
Teacher Education Admission and Certification Policies
In addition to courses in the discipline, all students completing a BA or BS degree in Education degree must meet the following requirements for certification.
- Be accepted for admission to teacher education, pre-II internship, and full internship according to published course sequence and guidelines.
- Demonstrate proficiency at the high novice level in a language other than English.
- Develop a portfolio which documents their accomplishments, learning, and strengths related to the competencies, standards, and outcomes established by the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, and the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Complete all courses in the major and Professional Education Core with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Students entering NSU beginning Fall 2013 must have an overall GPA of 2.75 for admission to teacher education.
- Once admitted to the teacher education program, all majors must continue to maintain a GPA of 2.5 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education core) through completion with the exception that Early Childhood, Elementary, and Special Educaton majors must maintain a GPA of 2.75 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education) through completion.
- 4 X 12 requirement - Early Childhood, Elementary Education, and Special Education programs require completion of 12 semester hours with a grade of “C” or better in the following disciplines: Communication Arts (ENGL, COMM, Literature), Math, Science, and Social Science (ECON, GEOG, HIST, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology) prior to graduation.
Policies of the College of Education
|English proficiency is a graduation requirement. Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
|UPPER DIVISION CREDIT:
|Total hours must include at least 40 hours of credit in courses number 3000 and above.
|LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES:
|A minimum of 55 semester credit hours of course work for the BS/BSED degree shall be in the liberal arts and sciences and 80 credit hours of liberal arts and sciences is required for the BA/BAED degree. Liberal Arts and Science courses are designated by a “#” after the course title.