Feb 28, 2024
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 49 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program’s plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
Mathematics Education General Education Requirements
Students following this program who have not completed the high school equivalent of College Algebra and/or Plane Trigonometry must complete one or more of the following as part of the general education requirements.
Mathematics Education Core 38 hours
Mathematics Electives - 6 hours
Select 6 hours from the following:
Professional Education Requirements (Secondary) - 29 hours
Teacher Education Admission and Certification Policies
In addition to courses in the discipline, all students completing a BA or BS degree in Education degree must meet the following requirements for certification.
- Be accepted for admission to teacher education, pre-II internship, and full internship according to published course sequence and guidelines.
- Demonstrate proficiency at the high novice level in a language other than English.
- Develop a portfolio which documents their accomplishments, learning, and strengths related to the competencies, standards, and outcomes established by the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, and the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Complete all courses in the major and Professional Education Core with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Students entering NSU beginning Fall 2013 must have an overall GPA of 2.75 for admission to teacher education.
- Once admitted to the teacher education program, all majors must continue to maintain a GPA of 2.5 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education core) through completion with the exception that Early Childhood, Elementary, and Special Educaton majors must maintain a GPA of 2.75 (overall, in their major field of study, and professional education) through completion.
- 4 X 12 requirement - Early Childhood, Elementary Education, and Special Education programs require completion of 12 semester hours with a grade of “C” or better in the following disciplines: Communication Arts (ENGL, COMM, Literature), Math, Science, and Social Science (ECON, GEOG, HIST, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology) prior to graduation.
Policies of the College of Science and Health Professions
|English proficiency is a graduation requirement. Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
|UPPER DIVISION CREDIT:
|Total hours must include at least 40 hours of credit in courses numbered 3000 and above.
|LIBERAL ARTS & SCIENCES:
|At least 55 semester credit hours are required in the liberal arts and sciences for a BS/BSED degree and 40 credit hours of liberal arts and science courses are required for a specialty degree (BSN). Liberal Arts and Science courses are designated by a “#” after the course title.