OSRHE Program Code: 074
CIP Code: 131315
Certificate Code: 3755
NSU’s educator preparation programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), www.caepnet.org, (1140 19th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036-1023, 202-223-0077), and/or the Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability (840 Research Parkway, Suite 455, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, 405-522-5399), www.ok.gov/oeqa
As a prerequisite for program admission, candidates must hold or be eligible to hold a standard teaching certificate or teaching license or be eligible for an alternative certification program with a plan of study for certification on file with NSU’s Teacher Certification office. All candidates seeking certification need to take the state certification test for reading specialist at the completion of the program. There are fees associated with certification testing which is administered by an outside agency under contract with the Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability. If seeking certification in any state other than Oklahoma, it is recommended that individuals contact the appropriate State Department for guidelines so they can be built into the program.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of major theoretical, conceptual, historical, and evidence based foundations of literacy and language, the ways in which they interrelate, and the role of the reading/literacy specialist in schools.
- Use foundational knowledge to design literacy curricula to meet needs of learners, especially those who experience difficulty with literacy; design, implement, and evaluate small-group and individual evidence based literacy instruction for learners; collaborate with teachers to implement effective literacy practices.
- Understand, select, and use valid, reliable, fair, and appropriate assessment tools to screen, diagnose, and measure student literacy achievement; inform instruction and evaluate interventions; assist teachers in their understanding and use of assessment results; advocate for appropriate literacy practices to relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrate knowledge of research, relevant theories, pedagogies, and essential concepts of diversity and equity; demonstrate an understanding of themselves and others as cultural beings; create classrooms and schools that are inclusive and affirming; advocate for equity at school, district, and community levels.
- Meet the developmental needs of all learners and collaborate with school personnel to use a variety of print and digital materials to engage and motivate all learners; integrate digital technologies in appropriate, safe, and effective ways; foster a positive climate that supports a literacy-rich learning environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to be reflective literacy professionals, who apply their knowledge of adult learning to work collaboratively with colleagues; demonstrate their leadership and facilitation skills; advocate on behalf of teachers, students, families, and communities.
- Complete supervised, integrated, extended practica/clinical experiences that include intervention work with students and working with their peers and experienced colleagues; practica include ongoing experiences in school-based setting(s); supervision includes observation and ongoing feedback by qualified supervisors.
Admission and Retention
Students must be admitted to the Graduate College. In addition, for admission to the Reading Specialist Certificate program, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Qualified for a standard Oklahoma teacher’s license/certificate.
- Reading courses to include methods of instruction and materials in reading.
- Methods of teaching elementary language arts or literature for children and/or adolescents.
- Hold master’s degree granted by an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association.
To be recommended for certification, program completers must complete all coursework with a grade of C or better and pass the state teacher certification examination for reading specialist.