Oct 04, 2023
Before pursuing a major in music, all students must successfully complete a performance audition for entrance into the applied area of concentration (instrumental, piano, vocal). This requirement must be fulfilled before degree plans can be approved and advisors assigned.
Music majors are required to participate in at least one music ensemble per semester as specified in the individual degree plans. They are to pass Band (MUS 3611), or Chorus (MUS 3631).
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Music Education (Instrumental winds and percussion) are required to pass Band a minimum of seven semesters. Students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts (Jazz option - winds and percussion) are required to pass Band (MUS 3611)a minimum of two academic years after which MUS 3651(Jazz Band I ONLY) may satisfy the music organization requirement or as directed by the major advisor.
Instrumental music majors with an emphasis in guitar may choose an appropriate ensemble as prescribed by their advisor.
All music majors are required to take MUS 2863 World Music as part of the humanities hours in the general education requirements.
Minimum Grade Requirements (Music) - Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in music courses to be used in either major or minor. Grades lower than a “C” on NSU or transfer credit will not apply for music major or music minor.
All music majors must pass the Junior Standing Jury (except BA Music Business students) as prescribed by the music area (keyboard, instrumental, vocal) before enrollment in any 4000 level applied music. Junior standing is also a prerequisite to MUS 3030, Half Recital and MUS 4031, Full Recital.
Students are to declare a major in music by the beginning of their sophomore year. Transfer students are to declare a major in music by the end of their first semester as an NSU student.
At least one fourth of the total semester hours in the major applied music area must be upper level credit from NSU (except BA Music Business option students).
Total Hours in Core 42 hours
Applied Music Tracks 21 hours
- Major Instrument 10 hours
- Keyboard 8 hours
- Second Instrument 5 hours
- Applied Percussion 11 hours
- Applied Keyboard 10 hours
Total Music Hours 63 hours
Liberal Arts and Science Courses
# – Liberal Arts & Sciences Courses
Professional Education Requirements - 29 hours
In addition to courses in the discipline, all students completing a BA or BS degree in Education degree must meet the following requirements.
- Be accepted for admission to teacher education, pre-II internship, and full internship according to published course sequence and guidelines.
- Demonstrate proficiency at the high novice level in a language other than English.
- Develop a portfolio which documents their accomplishments, learning, and strengths related to the competencies, standards, and outcomes established by the Oklahoma Commission for Teacher Preparation, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, and the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Complete all courses in the Professional Education Core with a grade of “C” or higher.