Dec 01, 2022
OSRHE Program Code: 161
CIP Code: 260406
Major Code: 7065
TCC Biology AS to NSU Cell and Molecular Biology BS
This major integrates the best practices of 21st century biology education through a combination of high quality coursework, exposure to current research through the literature, and laboratory research experiences. The program provides the necessary tools for molecular biology and biotechnology related careers and is ideal for students who wish to pursue graduate school (molecular biology, biomedicine and forensics) or professional school (medicine, optometry, dentistry and veterinary medicine) as well as for students who wish to seek employment in research laboratories.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Attain biological foundation knowledge.
- Specialize in a biology subfield.
- Demonstrate the methods and technologies of modern biology.
- Demonstrate knowledge of living systems.
- Analyze novel data or information and formulate independent conclusions.
- Prepare for employment in some field of biology, graduate research, or further training in the health professions.
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program's plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
Cell and Molecular Biology General Education Requirements
The following are course prerequisites that may be completed as part of the General Education requirements.
Required Biology Courses - 33 hours
Biology Electives - 8 hours
Complete 8 hours of Biology electives.
Required Cognate Courses - 27 hours
Additional Degree Information - Gregg Wadley College of Science and Health Professions
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of "C" or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.S. and B.S.Ed. degrees require at least 55 hours and B.S.M.L.S. and B.S.N. degrees require at least 40 hours. Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) courses are identified in catalog course descriptions.
For additional information, see Bachelor's Degree Requirements .