Feb 28, 2021
OSRHE Program Code: 087
CIP Code: 510204
Major Code: 6900
Speech-language pathology is the study of disorders that affect a person’s speech, language, cognition, voice, and swallowing, and the treatment of these disorders and diseases. The Bachelor of Science in Speech-Language Pathology provides pre-professional undergraduate education as a prerequisite for admission to a master’s degree program in communication disorders.
NSU’s Master of Science program in Speech-Language Pathology is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, MD 20850-3289, 800-498-2071. www.asha.org
Students cannot be a licensed speech-language pathologist with just a bachelor’s degree. Students must complete a master’s degree to be eligible to sit for credential tests. Students who complete the Master of Science degree will have the academic and clinical practicum experience necessary to meet requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and apply for certification in Speech-Language Pathology. Additional requirements include passing the Praxis exam scores and documentation of the clinical fellowship experience. To practice in the State of Oklahoma, program completers must also apply for a license in speech-language pathology from the Oklahoma State Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and the Oklahoma State Department of Education Standard Certificate in Speech-Language Pathology.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate depth and breadth of understanding of fundamental concepts of speech-language pathology.
- Teach effective speech-language pathology lessons that can lead learners to a deep understanding of concepts within speech-language pathology.
- Focus on the academic, clinical and research foundations needed for a career in communication disorders.
- Prepare the student to make decisions and to take appropriate, thoughtful action to identify and to meet the communication needs of individuals and families.
NOTE: Courses with SLP prefix can be repeated only one time. Exceptions: SLP 4530 Supervised Clinical Practicum and SLP 4520 Independent Study.
General Education Requirements
A minimum of 46 hours of academic work in general education is required during the freshman and sophomore years. For students transferring with the Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, all general education requirements will be satisfied with respect to degree requirements. However, some majors may require other specific general education courses as program prerequisites or program requirements. Students should consult advisors and the program’s plan of study for further information. Students are required to complete general education requirements by the time they have completed 90 semester hours of college work. See General Education Requirements for more information.
SLP General Education Requirements
The following are course prerequisites that may be completed as part of the General Education requirements.
To be admitted to the undergraduate SLP program students must complete the following courses with a grade of B or better. Students can be conditionally admitted (admitted on probation) with one C in the listed courses, but must make a B or better in all subsequent courses. Students who fail to earn a B or better in these courses will be denied enrollment in additional SLP courses.
Upon completion of the courses below and having earned an overall GPA of 3. 0 or better, students may be admitted to the undergraduate SLP program.
After admission, students must continue to earn a B or better in SLP courses. Students who fail to earn a B or better will be denied enrollment in additional SLP courses and must meet with the program advisor for remediation. Students will be allowed one attempt to improve any course grade to a B or better. Students who earn a second C (or below) in any course will be removed from the program.
Student must earn a minimum overall grade point average of 3. 25 on a 4. 0 scale.
Major Requirements - 59 hours
1. Basic Areas of Speech-Language - 15 hours
2. Speech Pathology: Nature, Diagnosis and Treatment - 24 hours
3. Audiology: Nature, Diagnosis and Treatment -9 hours
4. Health Professionals Preparation - 2 hours
5. Related Courses - 9 hours
Major Electives - 15 hours
Choose 15 hours from the following:
Additional Degree Information - Gregg Wadley College of Science and Health Professions
In addition to general education and program requirements stated above, additional hours may be needed to satisfy all minimum degree requirements listed below.
- English Proficiency: Components I and II of English proficiency should be met with grades of “C” or better prior to the completion of 60 credit hours.
- A minimum of 124 hours is required. PE activity is limited to four hours. Prior learning credit (CLEP, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc) is limited to 30 hours.
- A minimum of 30 hours in residence (from NSU) is required for graduation. PE activity is limited to four hours. Hours in residence exclude zero-level courses and prior learning credit such as CLEP, Advanced Placement, Advanced Standing, Military Credit, etc.
- A minimum of 40 hours of 3000/4000 level courses is required for graduation.
- A minimum of 60 hours from a 4-year school is required for graduation excluding zero level and PE activity courses.
- At least fifty percent of the major requirements must be upper division courses (3000 and 4000 level).
- At least 18 hours or fifty percent of the major, whichever is greater, must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.
- The minimum number of credit hours required in the Liberal Arts and Sciences varies based on the type of degree. B.S. and B.S.Ed. degrees require at least 55 hours and B.S.M.L.S. and B.S.N. degrees require at least 40 hours. Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) courses are identified in catalog course descriptions.
For additional information, see Bachelor’s Degree Requirements .