OSRHE Program Code: 022
CIP Code: 131316
Certificate Code: 7721
Embedded in Master of Science in Science Education
Students can complete the embedded certificate as a part of their Science Education, M. Ed. program. The certificate is also available for students in the Mathematics Education, M. Ed. and Instructional Leadership: Professional Enhancement, M.Ed. programs through guided course selection. The STEM Education Certificate program is designed for people interested in STEM Education including:
- Informal educators such as those professionals working at zoos or museums.
- Teachers who hold an initial teaching certification in any discipline K-12 or are pursuing alternative certification (*This program will NOT lead to an initial teaching certification).
- Teachers in STEM areas: science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- Teachers in non-STEM disciplines who are interested in gaining knowledge and skills associated with STEM education.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Utilize knowledge of STEM and 21st Century Skills to implement innovative pedagogy.
- Acquire an understanding of a body of knowledge related to improving instructional effectiveness and the supporting research evidence, including its strengths and its limitations.
- Create and implement appropriate experiential-based learning opportunities that facilitate student mastery of standards-based STEM content
- Acquire leadership skills in STEM areas.
Admission and Retention
Students must be admitted to the Graduate College. Individuals interested in only earning the STEM certificate, but not currently enrolled in a graduate program at NSU, can apply for Graduate College admission for the purpose of pursuing the STEM certificate.
At least 25 percent of the coursework applied to this embedded certificate must be satisfactorily completed at NSU.